Welcome to Year Three
Our theme for this half term is DINOSAURS!
This half term we will be reading ‘Mungo and the Dinosaur Island’. We will be identifying key features of adventure texts and writing our own adventure stories. In addition to this, we will be writing our own non-chronological reports
How can you help your child? Encourage your child to read their reading book and ask them questions about the text which they are reading.
- What happened in the story?
- Where did the story take place?
- Who is telling the story?
- Can you find words or phrases which tell you about the character?
- Why is the text arranged in this way?
How you can help your child at home-
It is important to read a variety of texts with your child; this can be anything from their school reading books and newspapers, to advertising leaflets. This will help your child to extend their vocabulary and their understanding of different text types, which will in turn help to improve their writing. It is expected that your child regularly practises how to confidently read, spell and form sentences with the following common exception words. Your child will be tested on these words throughout the half term and their progress will be recorded in their reading diaries.
In Numeracy, we will be exploring fractions.
Pupils will be taught to:
- count up and down in tenths;
- recognise, find and write fractions of a discrete set of objects
- recognise and use fractions as numbers: unit fractions and non-unit fractions with small denominators
- recognise and show, using diagrams, equivalent fractions with small denominators
- add and subtract fractions with the same denominator within one whole [for example, + = ]
- compare and order unit fractions, and fractions with the same denominators
- solve problems that involve all of the above
It is also really important that your child regularly practises their times tables. I am looking forward to seeing who can get their Times Tables Champion badge this term.
Please ensure that you regularly practice and test your child with their times tables so that they can earn their math badges. Don’t forget to get your children to log into Sum Dog and complete the various challenges.
Learning Logs are due in on the first day of each new term
Monday - Spellings (to be tested on Friday).
Wednesday – Numeracy (to be submitted by Friday).
Friday – Comprehension (to be submitted by Monday).
As Geographers, we will locate and learn about the world’s continents and what they were like millions of years ago. As historians, we will research dinosaurs, the things that lived beside them and also how they became extinct.
In Science, we will be learning all about rocks. We will find out about the different types of rock and their uses. We will also look at soil and fossils.